Total Pageviews

Sunday 15 April 2012

Psychology taster course at Nottingham University

The weekend before last, I attended a psychology taster course at Nottingham University and have been meaning to write a post about it ever since. It was a great experience; not only were the lectures incredibly good but it was also a valuable insight into student life. My heart’s always been set on a degree in English Literature but I wanted to look at other options as well, just to make sure I was doing the right thing for me. The emotional side of psychology really does interest me and it was this that the latter half of the taster course was based upon – things like the paranormal, criminal profiling and Freudian dream analysis. The dream analysis especially was useful to me as I was finishing off my book and analysing books in English Literature.
So, it’s still English for me. I've just managed to get two weeks of work experience at a PR and advertising agency in June, which I'm really excited about. There's just a lot of revision to do now for May exams (eep!) and my bedroom is plastered in colourful mind maps and sheets. I'm also trying to get my book, 'The Amethyst Bird', published by approaching literary agents - it's a young adult novel, based upon a world torn apart by war and about a boy, Harry, who is forced to survive by himself after the Authority takes away his mother. I've been writing books like that ever since I was about seven, from toys that escape their toy shop to live on an island to 'The Dog that Travelled Around the World' - complete with pictures made on Paint. I hope this one is a bit more grown-up than those last two though!

No comments:

Post a Comment